This week, just as The MJCast was about to release a surprise episode between seasons, news broke that the Sundance Film Festival was preparing to screen a documentary smearing Michael Jackson as a child molester.
As shockwaves rippled through the fan community and listeners sprang into action, it seemed to be an inappropriate time to release the episode.
The show’s special guest was to be Harrison Funk, renowned entertainment, fashion, and advertising photographer best known for being Michael Jackson’s personal photographer from the early 1980s through the mid-2000s. The interview with Funk had been recorded months ago, and The MJCast team had kept it in the can, ready to release as a special New Year treat for listeners.
But, upon re-visiting the interview in light of this week’s horrifying news, the timing could hardly be more apt. Harrison spends a great deal of time during his conversation with Jamon Bull and Charles Thomson discussing the false abuse allegations which plagued Michael from 1993 onwards. He speaks movingly about the physical and psychological toll the allegations took on his friend, and how those who loved Michael rallied around him, but watched helplessly as his life and his health slowly fell apart until his eventual death in 2009.
As the media prepares to stick the knife into Michael one more time and give it a sharp twist, this interview with one of Michael’s closest friends makes for a sobering listen.
In addition to the allegations, Harrison discusses the kind of man Michael really was, not the lie Dan Reed, Wade Robson and Sundance are going to try and sell the world. The MJCast and Harrison explore stories around Michael’s process as a live musician, the Victory Tour, the Bad era, Harrison’s love of photography, his fascinating observations as he photographed Teddy Riley producing Cascio tracks in the studio and SO much more!
This episode of The MJCast is dedicated to Friend of the Show and fellow MJ podcaster Jordan King of King Jordan Radio, who recently and tragically passed away. We will always be missing you, Jordan.
We hope this episode brings some positivity and truth to an otherwise dark time for MJFam.
- Harrison Funk’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- The MJCast – Episode 044: World Music Awards 2006
- Michael Jackson’s 2006 World Music Awards performance
- LIFE Magazine commemorative issue featuring Harrison Funk’s signature photo of Michael Jackson
- The Jackson’s Victory Tour Live in Dallas
- The Jackson’s Victory Tour Press Conference
- The Jacksons – Torture
- The Jacksons – Body
- Michael Jackson – Liberian Girl
- Michael Jackson’s Bad World Tour Live in Yokohama
- Michael Jackson’s Personal Photographer: ‘He Didn’t Identify as One Gender’ – The Guardian article
- Documentary Accusing Michael Jackson of Sexual Abuse to Premiere at Sundance – Rolling Stone article
- Stop Leaving Neverland NOW – The MJCast article
Ads & Music Breaks
- The Jacksons – Torture (12″ Dance Mix)
- Michael Jackson – Stranger in Moscow (SWG Extended ‘Fader A Capella’ Mix)
Connect with Us
If you have any thoughts, opinions, or feedback on this Michael Jackson podcast episode, we’d love to hear from you. Contact us at email@example.com or find the links to our many social networks on www.themjcast.com. Keep Michaeling!